GFWC Historical archive
The GFWC Naples Woman’s Club is affiliated with the State of Florida General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC Florida) located in Lakeland, Florida and the General Federation of Women’s Club (GFWC) located in Washington, DC. Federation provides membership for both the GFWC Naples Woman’s Club and its members to state and international levels of Women’s Clubs. Yearly club dues pay for membership in each of these organizations.
The GFWC Naples Woman’s Club actively recruits and welcomes new members. All active club members are encouraged to sponsor new applicants during the club year.
Becoming a General Federation of Women’s Club member means joining more than 100,000 women who are actively engaged in volunteer community service in approximately 4,000 clubs across the globe. Members of all age live in cities, suburbs, and rural communities around the globe. We are working women, stay-at-home moms, retirees, and students, united by a shared commitment to volunteer community service.
GFWC is distinguished from other service organizations by the breadth of our outreach. Our community service programs span all areas of the lives of our members, their families, and communities: arts, conservation, education, home life, public issues, and international outreach.
Founded in 1890, GFWC’s roots can be traced back to 1868 when Jane Cunningham Croly, a professional journalist, attempted to attend a dinner at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Croly was denied admittance based upon her gender, and in response, formed a woman’s club—Sorosis. In celebration of Sorosis’ 21st anniversary in 1889, Jane Croly invited women’s clubs throughout the United States to pursue the cause of federation by attending a convention in New York City. On April 24, 1890, 63 clubs officially formed the General Federation of Women’s Club by ratifying the GFWC constitution.
GFWC has earned a reputation as a powerful force in the fight against domestic violence. GFWC was recognized on the floor of the United States Senate as “a gem among our midst” by then-Senator Joseph Biden (Del.) for our work in bringing hope to victims and survivors of domestic violence and abuse, and our early support for the Violence Against Women Act.
Pre – 1890
1868: GFWC’s roots can be traced back to 1868 when Jane Cunningham Croly (1829-1901), a professional New York journalist who wrote under the pen name of Jennie June, attempted to attend a dinner at an all-male press club honoring British novelist Charles Dickens. Croly was denied admittance based upon her gender, and, in response, she formed a club for women. She chose the name Sorosis, a Greek word meaning “an aggregation; a sweet flavor of many fruits.”
1890 – 1899
1890: Jane Croly, founder of Sorosis, extended an invitation to women’s clubs throughout the United States to attend a ratification convention in New York City. Sixty-three clubs attended on April 23-25 and took action to form the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.
1898: GFWC unanimously passed a resolution against child labor. With the help of clubwoman Jane Addams (1860-1935), child labor became a major area of concern for the Federation. In 1901, Addams headed the Federation’s Child Labor Committee to work for the maintenance and improvement of child labor laws.
1899: GFWC’s Chicago Woman’s Club supported the juvenile court law, the first ever to be passed in the United States. This law became the model for all subsequent juvenile court laws, many of which were passed at the insistence of GFWC clubwomen. Julia Lathrop (1858-1932) led this club effort and was appointed by President William Howard Taft to head the Children’s Bureau in 1912.
1900 – 1909
1901: The 56th Congress of the United States chartered GFWC and designated that the Federation be headquartered in Washington, DC.
1906: GFWC member Alice Lakey (1857-1935) spearheaded a letter and telegram writing campaign, which was essential to the passage of the Pure Food and Drug Act. Dr. Harvey Wiley, the first chief of the Pure Food Bureau, attributed the bill’s passing to GFWC and stated, “Trust them [GFWC] to put the ball over the goal line every time.”
1910 – 1919
1910s: GFWC supported legislation for the eight-hour workday, workplace safety and inspection, and workmen’s compensation. Members also supported prison reform legislation.
1916: GFWC worked with the Children’s Bureau to promote National Baby Week. Over 2,000 clubs participated by focusing on infant and maternal mortality, birth registration, and public health facilities. The Federation’s efforts resulted in the passage of the Sheppard-Towner Act (1921), which advanced maternal education.
1919: Under the direction of the YMCA, GFWC created the Overseas Service Unit and sent 100 young women to Europe to assist wounded soldiers in the aftermath of World War I.
1920 – 1929
1921: GFWC created the Indian Welfare Committee, which worked improving both education and health facilities on reservations, as well as preserving Native American culture.
1922: GFWC Clubwomen purchased 1734 N Street, NW in Washington, DC to serve as the Federation’s International Headquarters. In addition to staff offices and rooms for meetings and receptions, one floor was designated to serve as an apartment for the International President.
1925: GFWC initiated a nationwide Federation survey of the American home, which placed a spotlight on the status of technology in the home. The survey led to the inclusion of homemaker as an occupation on the 1930 United States Census.
1930 – 1939
1930s: Having founded over 474 free public libraries and 4,655 traveling libraries, women’s clubs were credited by the American Library Association with establishing 75 percent of America’s public libraries. Supporting local libraries continues to be a Federation priority today.
1932: GFWC established the Junior Committee in response to an increasing number of younger women participating in volunteer community service.
1934: GFWC began a 10-year study to review the question of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA). In 1944, GFWC adopted a resolution in support of the ERA, which the Federation continues to support today.
1940 – 1949
1940: GFWC celebrated its Golden Jubilee commemorating 50 years of Federation work.
1944: Through the GFWC Buy a Bomber campaign during World War II, state federations sold war bonds worth $154,459,132–enough money to purchase 431 planes.
1945: GFWC was one of the five women’s organizations chosen to participate in the conference to form the United Nations. At the conference, GFWC representatives supported the ratification of the United Nations Charter.
1950 – 1959
1950: GFWC began its relationship with the Cooperative for American Relief Everywhere (CARE). The organizations jointly distributed relief shipments to Korea.
1955: GFWC first established the Community Achievement Program, which recognized clubs that best improved the quality of life in their communities. Now called the Community Improvement Contest, it remains one of GFWC’s longest running and most important efforts.
1960 – 1969
1960: Brighten the Night was a nationwide Federation campaign for street lighting to prevent crime and accidents.
1961: GFWC’s Women’s Crusade for Seat Belts program resulted in the installation of more than one million seat belts over the course of one year.
1965: GFWC was awarded a stamp by the United States Post Office in honor of its 75th anniversary.
1970 – 1979
1970s: GFWC responded to the startling rise in crime with a citizen-based grassroots program, Hands Up, which was applauded as a “valuable public service” by President Gerald R. Ford.
1980 – 1989
1984: GFWC founded the Women’s History and Resource Center (WHRC) to collect, preserve, interpret, and promote primary and secondary source materials and information on GFWC and women in volunteerism.
1986: In keeping with GFWC’s commitment to conservation, the Federation instituted programs to protect and preserve endangered species.
1990 – 1999
1990s: GFWC actively supported the passage of the Violence Against Women Act; the Americans With Disabilities Act; the Family and Medical Leave Act; and legislation supporting handgun control.
1990: GFWC celebrated its centennial anniversary in New York City.
1994: GFWC founder Jane Cunningham Croly was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame in Seneca Falls, New York.
1997: GFWC renewed its commitment to libraries with the Libraries 2000 project. Over a five year period, GFWC clubwomen raised and donated $13.5 million to public libraries and public school libraries across the nation.
2000 – Today
2000s: GFWC members contributed $180,000 for a fully-equipped ambulance for use by the New York Fire Department in response to the loss of equipment suffered during the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.
2011: GFWC introduces the Success for Survivors Scholarship, created as part of our efforts to highlight the importance of rebuilding one’s life after experiencing intimate partner violence. Each year, GFWC awards $2,500 scholarships to help intimate partner survivors obtain a post-secondary education that will offer them the chance to reshape their future by securing employment and gaining personal independence.
2015: GFWC celebrates 125 years of Federation on April 24.
2016-2017 coming soon!
All of Florida’s clubs embraced the President’s Project, “Our Girls” at Hacienda Girls Ranch” The Royal Palm State Park was rededicated in the Florida Everglades. GFWC Florida’s 14 districts helped with generous donations from state federations and members after Hurricane Irma roared across Florida helping many of those in need.
Operation Smile was a huge success as the GFWC’s President Project collecting more than $250,000 n contributions and selling Golden Tickets to those who wanted to attend the Smile Mission trip. The volunteer hours for these two years totaled 1,228,035 working on over 12,889 projects during the two year term. Dollars nonated $1,463,455 with In Kind donations totaling $1,275,786.
2018-2019 A new website was created, featuring our updated logo and a complete description and history of club activities. Members were encouraged to convert to online registration and payment for activities; the printed newsletter was disseminated via email. Membership demand increased, and the cap on membership was released to accommodate new members.The Annual Kitchen Tour was a big success, again, generating over $100,000 in profits. The Circle of Support also raised over $100,000 for scholarships, while Dining For Philanthropy and the Holiday Artisan Boutique once again generated significant revenue for the club. $40,000 in grants was donated to local agencies; 34 college scholarships were awarded. Rental of the clubhouse continued to be an excellent source of revenue. Renovations to the clubhouse bathrooms were completed. Hands-on volunteer work continued with Baby Basics, Meals of Hope, Beach Cleanups, Providence House, and more.
2019-2020 A printed spiral-bound directory was created with photos of each member, and a similar directory was posted online. The AV System for the club was updated, and a larger screen, for more effective presentations, was installed. Fundraising for scholarships (Circle of Support, Empowering Women and the Artisan Marketplace) raised over $140,000, for 42 scholarships. The 8th Annual Kitchen Tour, Dining For Philanthropy, and the Flea Market also raised over $100,000 for more than 18 grants. To mark the 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, a tree was planted, in a joint effort with the League of Women Voters, to honor May Mann Jennings and her efforts to secure the Women’s Right To Vote. A multipage annual report was created for sponsors and members as a record of our achievements. The Scholarship Program was expanded to include more renewable four-year scholarships, as well as support for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. A video was created bringing to life our scholarship program and was posted on our website. Membership reached 305. The pandemic, caused by the Covid-19 epidemic, hit at the end of our spring term, resulting in an abrupt end to the season; the remaining planned activities had to be cancelled.
Naples Woman's Club, Inc.
Club: 570 Park Street, Naples, FL 34102
Mail: PO BOX 662 Naples, FL 34106